Thursday, May 12, 2011

Surgery Day

Pretty much the worst day of my life.
Got up around 5 and couldn't get any more sleep so we got ready and went over to Jansen.  We got to give him a little clean up this morning before surgery and then I sat and held him for an hour and a half.  He couldn't eat so he was hungry, but with his dummy he was still pretty settled, so he just sat in my arms and looked at us for quite a while.  Precious time definitely.
Around 8:30 they took him for surgery.  We got to walk him down to the theatre and stay with him until he was off to sleep.  Then we left and I fell apart completely.  We cried for a long time and sat numbly staring into space for even longer. We took Arie to the park and tried to stay somewhat distracted but mostly cried on and off and worried about our little boy.
After the longest 4+ hours of my life, my phone rang and it was the head surgeon.  He told us "the operation went well".  I was so stunned and so on the edge of sobbing that all I could do was squeak out "good". He said Jansen was being transferred back to CICU and we could visit him there in another hour or so.
We cried and cried and then went to see him on the CICU. He is hooked up to loads of machines but is stable and the surgery seems to have gone as well as could be hoped given his anatomy. We haven't had a chance to talk to the surgeons yet, but we will tonight and will know much more detail about the surgery.
It was just such a relief to see him alive and to know that there were no major problems.  Praise God! There is still a long road to recovery and the dr. on the CICU said to expect blips and setbacks for the first at least 24 hours.  They still have his chest open so that's a little sci fi, but so minor compared to what we had feared we might hear that we are just overjoyed to see our little guy sitting there breathing.
I'll post more when we know more.  Thanks so much everyone for praying him through surgery!

2 comments:

Carol Dykhouse said...

Praying so much for all of you and your little one... I woke up a lot during the night last night and every time I woke, my thoughts immediately went to you and I prayed.... still praying as you are on my mind ....thoughts and continued MANY prayers !!!

Our Love, Carol and Mike Dykhouse

Unknown said...

We are praying for all of you a lot! So glad your parents are there with you. We will keep praying. We are friends of your parents from grand haven.