Yesterday evening, I finally got to meet the surgeon that did Jansen's surgery. His name is Victor Tsang and everyone talks about him with an air of awe and respect. He's the head of the department and at this point I didn't really expect to get to meet him since he's busy and Jansen's doing so well. So I was shocked when he walked around the corner yesterday to come check on Jansen and introduced himself. The conversation went something like this:
Him: "Hi, I'm Victor Tsang, the surgeon"
Me: "Hi, Thank You" (I start to cry)
Him: "Your boy is very strong"
Me: "Yeah, he's a fighter. Thank You" (now sobbing)
Him: (looking slightly uncomfortable) "Because of the anatomy of his coronary arteries it was a difficult surgery, but we managed to do it"
Me: (barely getting out words at this point) "That's what they told us. Thank You"
Him: (looking very uncomfortable at this point) "You're welcome. Well, I'll see you later"
I knew I wouldn't be able to hold it together if I ever got to meet him. At least I managed to keep from hugging him. I think I probably would have scared him off faster if I had done that. I feel like there is so much more I wanted to say to him. Like I should have composed a speech, or a sonnet or something. I'm not sure anything I said would have made me feel like I did justice to the depth of gratitude I have for that man. What can you say to the person who was responsible for saving your son's life? I'll be forever grateful that God worked through his hands to save Jansen.
| Celebratory dinner out after Jansen's chest closure |
| Playing on the bus in the lobby with Arie |
1 comment:
Dubois family- What answers to prayers! So glad to hear that Jansen is doing well! Kelly- surgeons love to be hugged, next time go for it! :)
Post a Comment